By Milton C. Sernett
Originally released in 1985, this increased moment version contains new resources on ladies, African missions, and the nice Migration. Milton C. Sernett presents a normal creation in addition to ancient context and remark for every document.
Read or Download African American Religious History: A Documentary Witness (The C. Eric Lincoln series on the Black experience) PDF
Best religious studies books
Many this day position nice desire in legislations as a automobile for the transformation of society and settle for that legislations is self reliant, common, and specially, secular. but fresh scholarship has known as into query the simplistic narrative of a separation among legislations and faith and blurred the bounds among those different types, permitting new debts in their relation that don't inevitably both cave in them jointly or go back legislation to a non secular starting place.
Jainism inspires photographs of priests donning face-masks to guard bugs and mico-organisms from being inhaled. Or of Jains sweeping the floor in entrance of them to make sure that residing creatures will not be inadvertently beaten: a tradition of non-violence so radical as to defy effortless comprehension. but for all its obvious exoticism, Jainism remains to be little understood within the West.
During this e-book, twelve students of early smooth heritage examine quite a few different types and circumstances of deception and fake identification within the age of geographical discoveries and of pressured conversions: from two-faced conversos to serial converts, from demoniacs to stigmatics, and from self-appointed ambassadors to mendacity cosmographer.
Experiencing theWorld’s Religions seventh variation examines the practices and ideology of majorreligions. It makes a speciality of how religions form either participants and wholecultures. It additionally describes in either textual content and illustrations the artwork andarchitecture of the key religions. Narratives of the author’s experienceshelp readers to adventure religions first hand.
- Black Gods of the Metropolis: Negro Religious Cults of the Urban North
- Politics & Religion In Us (Garland Reference Library of Social Science)
- Pilgrimage in the Marketplace (Routledge Studies in Pilgrimage, Religious Travel and Tourism)
- Handbuch Geschichte der deutschsprachigen Soziologie: Band 2: Forschungsdesign, Theorien und Methoden (Springer Reference Sozialwissenschaften) (German Edition)
- Shamanism: Soviet Studies of Traditional Religion in Siberia and Central Asia: Soviet Studies of Traditional Religion in Siberia and Central Asia
- Sacred and Secular (Cambridge Studies in Social Theory, Religion and Politics)
Additional resources for African American Religious History: A Documentary Witness (The C. Eric Lincoln series on the Black experience)
African American Religious History: A Documentary Witness (The C. Eric Lincoln series on the Black experience) by Milton C. Sernett